On the Second Day of Christmas...

On the Second Day of Christmas...

Two Octopi...  Two Octopus? No Turtle Doves...

This past month I picked up the crotchet hook to make some gifts.  This is my first time trying out Amigurumi! I found it slightly challenging and my first attempt failed because the tension wasn't consistent enough. As a result there were gaps in the stitching when it was stuffed.  I also broke a metal crotchet hook... Yes it is possible- the end flew off!  Anyway, I succeeded on my second and third attempts.  These are for two mothers to be, both due to have their babies soon.

Here are the Octopi:


This is the wool used for variegated octopus:

The green octopus is made using a beautiful wool that has flecks of yellow, aqua, blue and red through it.  I have no idea the brand but it was much better to work with than the variegated wool which kept splitting!

Here is the link for the pattern used below; there are lots of really cute free patterns on this site: https://www.lilleliis.com/amigurumi-crochet-freebies/amigurumi-octopus-pattern/ 

Please note: I used invisible decreases, as these work best when doing amigurumi.  I also altered the pattern... When doing the legs I stitched three single crotchets into each chain because I wanted a wider/fatter leg.  Also on the legs; I stitched into the bump at the back of the chain instead of the actual front part of the stitch to help give a tighter spiral (I think this looked nicer).  I also used a size 3.5 crotchet hook after I broke the 3.25 hook! Which is bigger than the pattern called for...  I just stitched really tightly to make up for using the larger hook.  As a general rule it's better to use a smaller hook to avoid the possibility of gaps in the stitching though, especially if you don't stitch tightly and if you haven't tried amigurumi before.

One Page Finish...

The Queen of Spades Sends Her Regards

The Queen of Spades (Heaven and Earth Designs Chart) came out to be worked on this month as I wanted to get the page I was part way through finished.
 
Here is a reminder of the Art by Stephanie Law (mock up):
 

My progress last time I was working on it (yes it was a long time ago):

There was quite a lot of filling in to be done.... It is now at 12.46 percent complete:

 

I've also recently started a stitching page on Instagram so you can follow me there for updates as well if interested! the_girl_that_stitches

Sending out Christmas wishes and the best regards for the new year!
Happy stitching! xxx

 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nocturne

In the Spirit of Diamond Painting

100 Days of HAED